Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Rainy Day

Here is a catch all photograph.  A little bit of stop action and a little bit of depth of field.
To create this Stop Action I knew I was going to need a super fast shutter speed.  I tried at 2000th of a second and the drops were still blurry.  So in order to get a faster shutter speed (about 5000th of a second) I had to bump up my ISO to 3200!  (hence the noise).  However I was able to capture a single raindrop breaking at my fingertip.

To create the depth of field I had to have a low shutter, in this case f-1.4.  Because I was using a HIGH shutter speed, to compensate for exposure I was able to use a LOW aperture.  This made it easy to capture the stop action and low depth of field.  Your camera lenses may only go as low as f-3.5, but you can still capture great shallow depth of field by zooming in (focal length) or moving in closer to your subject, with the background a good distance away.

Happy Thanksgiving and can't wait to see what you post!

1 comment: